Sunday, August 24, 2014

Unshakeable

One of my favorite things about moving back to Grand Coulee is that I get to return to my old church of Faith Community. Don't get me wrong, I loved my church in Anchorage, but the church in Grand Coulee is where I truly developed a relationship with the Lord.  Another reason I am happy to return to Faith Community is because for some reason, the messages and the songs affect me and hit my heart harder than they did at my old church.

Today's sermon really made me reflect on my personal relationship with God and Jesus.  I realized that on Sundays, the sermons really makes me think and reflect, but by Sunday night, I have forgotten about all of it. I don't want to be a Christian on Sundays only, but instead I want God's love to pour out of me every minute of every day.  So I decided that every Sunday Sermon, I am going to get on here, and write about the sermon.  It will be my way of reflecting and really letting the message penetrate into the deepest cracks of my soul.

The message this morning was called "Unshakeable".  Normally, Pastor Steve will focus the message on one small passage in the bible and pull a few verses from other parts to support the main idea of there sermon.  Today, he was all over the place, and I LOVED it!  Yes, it was slightly difficult to follow along because I couldn't find each passage quick enough to follow along, so it made me have to just listen.  I think there is something to be said about just listening to a passage of the Bible being read aloud.  I closed my eyes and let the Word fill me head and heart. The main point that I took from today's message it is that we, as Christ's followers, need to be unshakeable. 

The main passage that he read from was Mark 13.  In this passage, Jesus is talking about the end of the world.  "...But the one who endures to the end will be saved." We as Christians will we tested, deceived, and judged, but we just stand strong.  Mark 13:31 reads "Heaven and Earth will disappear, but my words will never disappear". When I read this, I put emphasis on the word never, like NEVER EVER EVER! The Word of the Lord will be strong. Earthquakes, famine, fire, drought, and everything else horrible will come, but as long as His Word is living in our hearts, we will still be standing when all others have fallen.

Pastor Steve, in making an analogy to attacks on the buildings of our capital, said "Our hope is not in the buildings, but in the people inside."  I just loved this.  It really made it clear to me that we need to have faith in God, and not the things of this world.  The earth will shake as will our lives, but His Words will stand strong and will be there to help us back onto our feet if we falter.  .

Having God's Word in our lives does not mean that we have His word in our head, but we need it in our heart.  James 1:22 tell us "But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves." We need to live His word.  We need to live our lives in a way that allows God's love to radiate through us and shine so bright that no one can look away.

In summary, what I take from this message is that we need to have the Lord's Word as the foundation of our lives, so that when our earth shakes, for whatever reason, He will hold us together and keep us from falling.  In this world, it is inevitable that that our lives will be shaken,  but with Christ as our redeemer and with His Word in our hearts, we will be UNSHAKEABLE!


No comments:

Post a Comment